Monday, November 14, 2011

Self-Portraits




I LOVE THIS PROJECT!! This is the only project that I teach that I will still be teaching when I retire. Others have come and go, but this project finds so much success that I hope to always teach it! I have so many kids that come back and tell me that their parents framed their self-portrait and hung it in their house. In fact, my husband's cousin's has been hanging in his house for several years.

To begin, I take a photograph of each student with a black background, lights out, with just a spotlight, using "Solarize" on a dinosaur of a digital camera. Next, the tech guy prints them out for me in black and white, and the kids enlarge their picture (using a grid system) until its 3 times bigger. Then, it's simply a matter of choosing a color and painting the tints and shades of that color. The kids are always amazed how much easier it is than they thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment